1. What is Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles’ Trust Building Measure?
With the Trust Building Measure, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles is informing its customers that it would consider any complaints that are established to have arisen as a result of the implementation of the technical measure on vehicles with EA189 type diesel engines and that relate to certain parts of the engine and exhaust treatment system. The Trust Building Measure applies for a period of 24 months from when the vehicle receives the technical measure and only to vehicles with mileage of under 160,000 miles at the time the Trust Building Measure is implemented (whichever comes earlier).
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has always said that implementing the technical measure has no adverse impact on fuel consumption figures, CO2 emissions figures, engine output, torque, noise emissions, or durability of the engine and its components. All figures relevant to type approval for the vehicle will remain valid. The regulatory authorities have expressly confirmed that the regulatory requirements are met. The confirmation also applies to the durability requirements for emission control systems. The Trust Building Measures has no bearing on this position.
With the Trust Building Measure, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles is sending a clear signal that the update has no negative effects on vehicle durability. This measure should serve to strengthen customer confidence in the technical measure and should encourage more customers to have their cars updated.
Customers can soon receive detailed information about the terms and scope of the Trust Building Measure from all authorized dealers and workshops for their respective vehicle brand.
2. Which brands are offering the Trust Building Measure and which models are affected?
The Trust Building Measure applies to all Volkswagen, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Audi, SEAT and ŠKODA models with EA189 type diesel engines that have received the technical measure.
3. To whom does the Trust Building Measure apply?
The Trust Building Measure will be offered to all Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles customers whose vehicles are fitted with an EA189 type diesel engine and who are having their vehicle updated as part of service measure 23Q7 in the context of the diesel matter. It applies only to vehicles with mileage of under 160,000 miles at the time the Trust Building Measure is implemented. To be eligible, customers must present proof that all manufacturer-recommended service and maintenance work has been completed (i.e. this applies to vehicles with a full service history).
The Trust Building Measure also extends to all customers whose eligible vehicles have already received the technical measure, from the date they received it (provided that all other requirements for the Trust Building Measure are met). The Trust Building Measure is linked to the vehicle identification number and would extend to a new owner if the vehicle is sold within the 24-month period covered by the application criteria.
The Trust Building Measure applies worldwide with the exception of the United States, Canada and South Korea, which are subject to different regulations.
4. Which components are covered by the Trust Building Measure?
The Trust Building Measure covers a total of 11 components within the exhaust gas recirculation system, the fuel injection system and the emissions after treatment system: lambda probe, temperature sensor, EGR changeover valve, exhaust gas recirculation valve, exhaust gas recirculation pressure differential sensor, injector, high pressure pump, fuel rail, pressure control valve, pressure sensor, high pressure pipelines.
The Trust Building Measure has no bearing on Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles’s position that the technical measures do not have any negative effects on the durability of the engine and its components. The regulators have confirmed that the technical measures meet all legal requirements and have no adverse impact on fuel consumption figures, CO2 emissions figures, engine output, torque and noise emissions.
5. What are the conditions for the Trust Building Measure?
In addition to the conditions outlined above:
1) The Trust Building Measure
- can only be made to, assessed by and used with an authorised dealer,
- applies to complaints only in materials used and work performed on the following components of the EGR, fuel injection system and emissions after treatment system: lambda probe, temperature sensor, EGR changeover valve, EGR valve, EGR pressure differential sensor, injector, high pressure pump, fuel rail, pressure control valve, pressure sensor, high pressure pipelines,
- does not cover replacement vehicles, out of pocket expenses, damages etc.
2) provided that
- the affected EA 189 vehicle has participated in the service action 23Q7
- the vehicle has been correctly serviced in accordance with the service schedules, updates and recalls as required by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles
3) and provided that none of the following cases apply:
- cases of natural wearing, i.e. impairment of vehicle by wear and tear,
- the owner or a non authorised service partner or dealer has not orderly repaired, serviced or cared the vehicle (e.g. by using non genuine parts etc.),
- instructions for operation, treatment and care of the vehicle as e.g. outlined in the instruction manual have not been met,
- vehicle has been damaged by third party instances or external conditions such as accident, thunderstorm / hail, flood etc. which has caused the issue complained of,
- any complaint regarding the particulate filter which is due to ash load,
- parts have been built into the vehicle or the vehicle has been changed in an unauthorised way, e.g. through (chip) tuning,
- vehicle has been operated improperly, e.g. for motorsport competitions or in case of overload,
- vehicle holder has not notified a complaint within a reasonable time frame,
- vehicle holder has not given Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles the opportunity to deal with the issue within a reasonable time frame.