A cookie is a small electronic file of letters and numbers that can be stored on your browser or on the hard drive of your computer or any device (e.g. mobile phones or tablets) you use to access the websites you visit. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive.
Cookies cannot harm your computer. We do not store sensitive information in the cookies we use, but we do use encrypted information gathered from them to help improve your experience of our website.
More information about Cookies including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or device and how to manage and delete them, can be found on the independent third-party website www.allaboutcookies.org.
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. As each browser is different, please consult your browser’s “help” function or the user guide for your device to find out how to customise your cookie settings. However, please note that if you use your browser settings to block some or all of the cookies we use, you may not be able to access all or parts of our website.
If you would like to disable or delete a Flash cookie (see below for more information about these), see Adobe Flashplayer Security Settings.
Types of Cookies
We may use any of the following types of cookie on our website:
- Essential cookies. These are cookies that are required for the smooth operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to access restricted areas of our website or provide us with your personal data securely.
- Flash Cookies. Some of the content on our website is displayed using Adobe Flash Player. Adobe uses Flash cookies (also known as Local Shared Objects) to improve your experience as a user. Flash cookies are stored on your device in the same way as normal cookies, but your browser manages them differently.
- Analytical / performance cookies. These cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to remember your preferences.
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visits to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We may use this information to make our website and the content displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose (for example with targeted advertising on third party sites).
Third Party Cookies
Examples of third party cookies we may use are:
- Functional web tools: We offer some useful tools such as the VWCV Used Car Locator, which requires cookies from other Volkswagen group websites in order to allow it to find cars near to you.
- Social network sharing: If you share content from the VWCV website using social networks, such as Facebook and Twitter, you may be sent cookies from these websites.
- External VWCV advertising: We sometimes advertise on other websites. These adverts use third party cookies to help them to display personalised ads that are relevant to you.
Details of which cookies on the VWCV website are third party cookies can be seen below. Please note that we cannot control the setting of third party cookies.